There are a lot of gadgets out there when it comes to babies and it can be a little overwhelming trying to figure out which ones we need.
Indeed this also applies to breastfeeding pumps.
whether you are a working mother, exclusively pumping or a stay-at-home mom supplementing direct breastfeeding with pumping, selecting the right breast pump is a very important decision.
This post may contain affiliate links. if you make a purchase using my link, I will receive a commission but it will be at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
In this post, you would find the top picks of breast pumps with their best features and drawbacks. Hopefully, it helps you with your decision on the most suitable breast pump for your needs.
In a hurry? no worries …
These are the best picks. Learn about their features below.
It can be very overwhelming and confusing as you try and decide which one is best suited to your needs (and budget).
There are a few things to consider before making this very important purchase.
This list of important factors will help in determining what type of breast pump would suit you,
1) HOW OFTEN WILL YOU NEED THIS BREAST PUMP?
2) WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?
This is important as it does not necessarily mean that spending more money on a breast pump means that you are getting a better quality or more efficient pump.
A higher price tag can be indicative of the extra features that are included with the device but do not be fooled into thinking the more expensive one is necessarily better.
3) WHAT IS YOUR PREFERRED BREAST PUMP METHOD OF PUMPING ACTION?
This is pretty much all about personal choice, however, you may want to consider what your most comfortable method will be in order to save yourself some discomfort and anguish during extended use.
If possible try out several methods before making your final decision on which breast pump is right for you.
Remember that breast pumps work by creating suction around your nipple/breast so what feels good to one momma may not feel so great to another.
4) DO YOU WANT A HANDS-FREE BREAST PUMP?
If you are planning on returning to work anytime soon then investing in a hands-free breast pump would be advisable as it allows the user to complete other tasks while pumping such as; feeding the baby, typing on the computer, or washing dishes.
You can find some very good quality yet affordable hands-free pumps like the Pump In Style Advanced by Medela
5) IS BATTERY POWER IMPORTANT TO YOU?
Not everyone wants or needs a battery-operated breast pump as some moms prefer to stay close to wall power wherever they are.
If however, you often find yourself away from home and perhaps out at work or shopping, etc., then having a battery-powered breast pump will be very convenient for you.
You can also purchase an inverter that plugs into your car’s cigarette lighter which will allow you to use your breast pump anywhere!
If you plan on using this device daily for long periods of time, it would be advisable to invest in rechargeable batteries so that it doesn’t create unnecessary waste being thrown away or sitting in a landfill.
Factors To Be Considered in Choosing the Best Breastfeeding Pump
Some choices for breast pumps are double electric pumps, manual pumps, smart pumps, single side pumps, hospital-grade pumps, and lots more.
So what are some factors to consider when looking for a breast pump?
- Pump and suction strength
- Size and portability
- Pump and Suction Strength- The higher the pump and suction strength, the more milk you will likely be able to pump. It may take a little trial and error to figure out what strength is best for you but this is a key factor when deciding which one is right for you.
- Size and Portability – Working moms will need to carry their breast pumps around, It’s a good idea to consider pumps that also work with batteries just incase at any point you do not have access to a wall outlet.
- Cost– Cost is also a major factor to be considered especially if the pump of your choice is not covered by your insurance. No matter how awesome and functional a breast pump is, if it is above our budget it will be difficult to consider buying it.
- Accessories : Whichever pump you decide to purchase it is important to take into consideration the type of accessories that come with it as this can save you lots of money certainly be helpful.
Now lets get to the picks of the Best breastfeeding Pumps .
Best Features :
- The medela free style has a strong pump suction
- It comes with a lot of accessories, including a pump bag and cooler
- It comes with hands free attachment
- Digital screen with backlighting ( This came in handy for me during my late night pumping sessions)
- Features the medela two phase technology including Letdown mode
- Rechargeable battery that lasts three hours
- Lightweight : weighs less than 1 lbs.
This is totally a great pump for on -the- go pumping and would be perfect for a working mom. I love how small it is and i absolutely love the memory setting, I was able to program the pump to remember my pumping preferences.
This is a pump that a lot of moms I know love and talk about endlessly. Moms say that the Spectra is really comfortable with gentle suction, and I quite agree with them.
The Spectra S1 is a hospital-grade pump and it has a rechargeable battery, this makes it easier to move around while pumping.
Another great feature of spectra is the awesome battery life, it lasts for up to three hours which allows you to pump up to 4 times while at work.
The main disadvantage I see with this pump is that it can be difficult to figure out at first because it has so many options and configurations.
- 2-phase expression technology (gets milk out faster and better than other pumps)
- Rechargeable battery (1 charge last up to 24 hours for pumping on the go!)
- The best breastfeeding pump for working moms who need portability,
- ease of use,
- multiple settings,
- high suction power,
- night light,
- rechargeable battery pack,
The Spectra s2 is another awesome breastfeeding pump and it has almost the same features of the s1 but it is a less expensive version. The only difference is that it doesn’t have a battery that can be recharged. The Spectra s2 plus has almost all the features of the s1 but it is a less expensive version.
- it Is very portable, weighs only 3lbs
- Ultra-Quiet Motor
- Rechargeable Battery (1 charge for pumping on the go!)
- This pump does it all! It has great suction,
- almost no set up necessary out of the box which makes this the #1 best choice for working moms.
- This unit also comes with everything you need including an AC adaptor/charger,
- Night light
- The suction levels are adjustable
- multiple settings,
4.Medela Pump In Style
The Medela Pump in Style has been around for a long time, for this reason, it is the most popular option.
Without a doubt, it is a great breastfeeding pump that comes in a convenient shoulder bag or messenger bag style, equipped with a cooler and icepack which is convenient for on-the-go use.
It weighs 4.5 pounds and has power options of AC Adaptor or battery pack.
It features a simple design and uses two-phase Expression Tech, making it straightforward and effortless to use. Medela is also known for its excellent customer care.
I had an issue with my pump and contacted medela, after an unsuccessful session of trying to fix the problem, they sent me a new pump to replace the bad one. ‘Awesome customer service.
- Single or double pump option
- Quiet motor (good for working and pumping in a cubicle!)
- Portable (comes with its own bag, cooler, and power cord)
- More milk in a quicker amount of time (powerful suction compared to other portable pumps on this list)
- it is very easy to use and
- has been around for decades!
- It comes with a lot of extra parts and accessories
The pump does have a few drawbacks; it has a loud motor, certainly not a quiet pump and moisture can build up in the tubing.
Apart from these, the medela pump in style is unquestionably trustworthy, effective, and comfy.
The willow breast pump is an all-in-one breast pump that fits in your bra and goes where you go. and has power options for a rechargeable battery.
They also offer a one-year warranty.
The Willow breast pump is relatively new (2018).
The box comes with, two pumps; one for each breast, two 24mm or 27 mm flanges, two flex tubes, 24 4 oz milk bags, 2 cleaning brushes, and a charger.
As awesome as all its features sound, there is a learning curve when trying to figure out how to use the pump.
Willow is the most advanced breast pump to ever be released on the market.
Many moms love this pump due to how easy it is to use.
You set it up, turn it on, and relax while your body does all the work for you!
A great option for working moms.
It is a high-tech breast pump that mimics your baby’s natural nursing rhythm.
It has no cords, batteries, or assembly required. You simply have to put it into your bra and turn it on.
Another great thing about the willow is the soft massage cushion which helps get milk out faster since this helps mimic how babies instinctively rub their faces against their mother’s breasts when they are born.
This way they get more milk in less time! I personally think all pumps should have this!
It works by funneling your ‘milk gold’ directly into bottles contained in stylish bags that fit right into the Willow system.
I personally think this pump looks like something straight out of a sci-fi movie like The Matrix, but maybe that’s just me.
As for price, it’s on the higher end side of breast pumps, but well worth it considering all the options you get included in your purchase!
The bags are stylish and easy to carry around…they basically look like small purses that you would take to work or on a trip!
You can set the breast pump up and walk away and it will continue pumping until you shut it off.
This is great for working moms because they won’t hear the constant sound of a traditional pump in their ear.
I personally think this system would be especially great for traveling since the flange doesn’t look like an obvious version of a breast pump, so no one will know what it really is unless they open it up.
Also, there’s no need to plug anything in because everything is battery operated (six AA batteries per pump) so you can literally use system anywhere at any time without having
It also has a bluetooth connection which you can hook up to your computer or phone and watch how often your baby is nursing by the gallons of milk you are pumping! Talk about taking breastfeeding monitoring to the next level. If you like technology, this pump will definitely make everyone’s head spin with excitement!
It comes with a breast pump, stylish bags for your milk containment system, and an AC adapter.
It weighs only 2.2 pounds and is super compact for easy portability (it’ll fit in your purse)!
Another hitch this pump might have is it’s expensive and the suction level may be too intense for some mothers. Check out the willow pump here.
Best features :
- Wearable for more discreet pumping.
- Comfortable and gentle on the nipple and breast (specially designed soft massage cushion).
- stimulates let down reflex that
- One year warranty from first use
- No need to clean as the flange wipes clean since it is made out of soft silicone rather than plastic.
- Adjustable speed and timing settings
- Record pumping session data to your computer or phone with bluetooth
- it is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Soft massage cushion that mimics baby’s natural nursing rhythm
- Integrated memory system to record your performance
- Large flange for faster milk flow
- Built in night light for late night pumping sessions
- Ability to pump both breasts at once (double pumping!)
- No assembly needed, simply put it in the bra you are wearing and turn it on
- Memory system that records pumping sessions with date and time included along with amount of milk expressed
- Style bags to hold your storage system include with the purchase of this pump
- Built in bluetooth connection to monitor which breast you last pumped at, how long each session lasted, and how much was expressed each time K
- Comes with everything you need including stylish bags for storing your milk Containment System.
- Quiet motor so others won’t hear it running while pumping on the phone or on conference calls.
- Memory system tracks how many times baby has nursed by gallons on one day.
Another awesome breastfeeding pump is the Medela Sonata.
The medela sonata is a serious upgrade by medela from their hospital-grade symphony pump. It has some amazing features which made it a part of this list. Unquestionably everything you need and then some more.
- It is super quiet
- lightweight ( 2.2lbs)
- Built-in rechargeable battery
- 2 phase technology
- Bluetooth enabled; to connect to the media app
- Hospital performance
- Backlit pump face
- Closed system
The only drawback ill says i have with this pump is that compared to the spectra s1 the battery life is not as good. Nevertheless, it will be able to give 3-4 pumping sessions which is fine if you are not relying on the battery alone all day.
Overall i would say the pump is very efficient when it comes to pumping milk as i was able to get slightly more milk from pumping with it compared to pumping with my spectra S1.
This pump is without a doubt great for working moms, moms who pump on the go and exclusively pumping moms.
Have you tried any of these breastfeeding pumps? what are your thoughts on them? let me know in the comments below.